Home Remedies for Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder is a kind of mental illness in which a person experiences frequent mood swings.Â Within a short time period, a person can experienceÂ mood swings from extreme highÂ to extreme low.Â The frequent mood swings can be awful for the person going through them along with for those who live with a person suffering from bipolar disorder. Both men and women are equally affected by this kind of mental problem.Â Some of the main causes of this mental problem are genetics, stress, hormonal imbalance, physical changes in the brain and some kind of traumatic event.
Once diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a person needs extensive and long term treatment.Â Generally medications are prescribed by doctors, but those who are interestedÂ inÂ natural treatment, there are manyÂ herbalÂ remedies also.
Here are top 10 home remedies for Bipolar Disorder.
- Fish Oil Â Fish oil rich in Omega 3 fatty acids is one of the few things that can help in the treatment of bipolar disorder. In fact, those suffering from bipolar depression must consume it on daily basis. Fish oil improves the functionality of brain and helps to overcome depression associated with bipolar disorder. At the same time it will also decrease the incidence of manic episodes. So, it is essential to regularly eat fish such as albacore tuna, mackerel, salmon, herring and trout which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Those who do not like to eat fish can also take over the counter supplements of fish oil.
- St. Johnâ€™s Wort Â St. Johnâ€™s Wort is a popular herbal antidepressant. This herb is also very helpful with mild depression. However, those suffering from bipolar disorder should take St. Johnâ€™s Wort herb only after discussing with a doctor as it can have side effects when taken along with antidepressants and certain other medications. One of the known side effects of St. Johnâ€™s Wort is that it can trigger mania and other complications in some people suffering from the problem of bipolar disorder.
- Flaxseed Oil Â Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a kind of omega-3 fatty acid which can help people suffering from bipolar disorder. However, as flaxseed oil is not a standard or proven treatment for bipolar disorder, but in some research works it has been found that it may help a lot in treating bipolar depression, as well as other episodes of depression. But it is very essential to enhance the effects of conventional treatments for bipolar disorder; flaxseed oil must be combined with conventional medications. One must not use flaxseed oil if suffering from anxiety due to bipolar disorder.
- GinsengÂ Â Ginseng is one such herb that can help in improving the functionalities of the brain such asÂ concentration level,Â memory level and span of attention.Â The energizing effect of this herb may be helpful to people suffering from depression part of bipolar disorder which is accompanied by extreme fatigue and lethargy. When suffering from depressive cycle of bipolar disorder, you should take ginseng only after having a discussion with your doctor.
- Ginkgo Biloba Â An extract of the gingko tree, ginkgo biloba is a kind of herb that can improve your memory. As it is also an antioxidant in nature, it improvs the flow ofÂ bloodÂ to the brain. This herb can be used in the treatment of bipolar disorder and otherÂ mental problems. Those suffering from bipolar disorder can use this herb to improve symptoms of depression. But for positive results and to witness the effectiveness of this herb as a mood enhancer, it must be consumed regularly for at least eight to twelve weeks.
- Black Cohosh Â This herb also known as black snakeroot and squaw root is a kind of nervous system depressant and sedative which can help a lot in the treatment of bipolar disorder. At times, this herb is also used in the treatment of various autoimmune health conditions due to its anti-inflammatory effects. Black cohosh can be effective in easing the symptoms of bipolar disorder, but it must be remembered that when this herb is used for long duration of time, it can also cause severe liver damage.
- Valerian Root Â Valerian root is a kind of herb known for its strong sedative property which can have impactÂ on the central nervous system. It can be used by those having difficulty inÂ sleeping properly or thoseÂ havingÂ frequent headaches. At the same time it also shows positive effects when used to treat bipolar disorder and other mentalÂ problems. When this herb is taken regularly it promotes feelings of calmness and reduces nervous tension and stress along withÂ anxiety,Â restlessness and mild to moderate mood changes. This useful herb is easily available in the market in various forms such as capsule, tea, tablet or liquid extract.
- Licorice Â Licorice is also one of the few herbs that can be used in the treatment of various symptoms associated with bipolar disorder. Licorice promotes the production of hormones including the active hormones present in the brain and digestive tract. Those suffering from bipolar disorder must drink tea made out of licorice daily. To make this herbal tea, take one teaspoon of licorice powder and steep it in hot water for ten minutes. Strain the solution and your tea is ready. This herbal tea is a useful remedy in treating depression which is a common symptom of bipolar disorder.
- Passionflower Â The soothing element of this herb can help balance the neurotransmitters in the brain. It has also got tranquilizing and sedative properties that can give relieve from anxiety and excitability experienced during the manic stage of bipolar disorder. It also reduces the effects of insomnia that can happen during depressive and manic phases. Although this herb has no side effects, yet at times it may causeÂ stomach upset. However, before taking this herb it is advisable to discuss with your doctor.
- Gotu Kola Â This herb is also a kind of herb that can be used to combat depression and calm anxiety. Those suffering from bipolar disorder must take Gotu Kola regularly to get relieve from various symptoms related to the depression phase of this mental disorder. However, it is very essential to discuss with your doctor before using this herb. This herb must not be taken by those who are on diabetes medications and cholesterol-lowering drugs.
To conclude, although the above mentioned herbal remedies are relatively safe to use in the treatment of bipolar disorder, yet it is important to consult with your doctor before trying any one of these.Â Treatment of bipolar disorder is usually very long.